Saturday, July 19, 2014

Peace Forfeited No More

This hymn comes to my mind this morning.... Oh what peace we often forfeit.  Oh what needless pain we bear.

I think our concept of prayer needs updated.  My default picture of prayer is one of the old saints on their knees kneeling at an altar and just crying out and moaning their requests over and over as if God was deaf.  

My practical application of prayer is..... me.... sitting in my sling back chair in my bathroom so as not to disturb my wife and casually spending time with the God Who loves me.  Conversing back and forth.  Sometimes quiet sometimes not.  To me... this is prayer.

Back to the hymn.... last night going to bed.. .there was some unrest in my soul.  For what reason?  Who knows?  But I fell off to sleep.  Woke up this morning still experiencing this unrest.  Listening to several youtube messages from some of my favorite Bible teachers... Still the unrest remains.

Finally, I get up and go to my quiet place (the bathroom) and open up my laptop to start journaling my conversations with God (I use this technique a lot in my quiet time.. for me, it is greatly effective). Within minutes... the peace comes.  The unrest is washed away.........    and the words to this hymn waft through my mind and soul........"All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer".

No comments:

Post a Comment