Friday, February 23, 2024

Common Cold of the Soul


 I have this frequent nagging at my soul.  I have dealt with issues my whole life.  I have dug up and seen healed wounds.  Yet, there still seems to be this thing that rises up inside of me that just floors me at times.  Thoughts and feelings rise up in side of me that make me thing there is something really wrong with me.  My reaction is to go back to the drawing board and see if I can discover "the last" flaw that is left in my emotional make-up.  


Well after many years of this  kind of reaction... I am beginning to think that perhaps this "flaw" is not going to go away.  Perhaps it is part of the DNA of our humanness.  Just like the common cold.  That even though... like the common cold.. we might feel like we are going to die.. we all know.. we will survive... AND THRIVE again. 

So.. this common malady that hits me on a regular basis, I am going to start viewing it as I would the common cold.  A nuisance but not a death sentence.  An inconvenience but not a disability.  I am going to change my paradigm (ie renew my mind) to look at it as nothing more than a common cold.  To recognize it for what it's worth, treat it and let it "run its course."

Over the years I have discovered treatments for the common cold.. notice I say treatments... NOT CURE.  I have a list that I refer to a times when I can't seem to get with th program.  I use a sun lamp, caffeine, naps, hikes, drives, coffee time with friends, chess games, journaling, Bible reading, prayer, praise and worship music.. you get my drift.  

My new approach to the common flu of the soul is to: 

1. NOT FREAK OUT!

2. Realize that it is COMMON!

3. It will pass

4. Just treat the symptoms until it does pass. 


I think that sometimes our reaction makes a simple thing so much worse.  Let's call it what it is.. a simple cold... and not let it shake us (me)


2/24/24

Have you ever had a friend that suffered from the flu? You have their best interest at heart, so you suggest different ways that you know will help them diminish their suffering. Then... only to be somewhat frustrated when you find out or you can tell that they are not interested and any remedies that would help their condition. Or..... maybe they listened to your advice, but for whatever reason failed to use that advice.  That is so me with the above advice. I usually do take my own advice after suffering for hours sometimes days wondering why I waited so. 🤷

So my goal is start taking my own advice quickly alleviate or at least diminish the amount of suffering that I endure during these episodes of soul flu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment